Yummy! Molasses, Cinnamon Sourdough PancakesCuisine: BreakfastDifficulty: Easy
These yummy molasses and cinnamon sourdough pancakes are airy delights. The edges are crispy while the centers are soft and fluffy. It is an easy recipe to whip up quickly using either sourdough discard or well-fed starter.
1 cup sourdough discard or active starter
1/8 cup extra virgin (light taste) olive oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Stir together starter, egg, oil, molasses, cinnamon, and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Preheat pan or griddle. I love my cast iron griddle on the stove; so handy and well-used.
- Add the baking soda last (This is fun for the kids to add and watch!) The mix will foam up and grow.
- Spray the heated pan with non-stick spray or sprinkle it with extra virgin olive oil for more crisp edges.
- When the pan is hot, pour 1/2 cup of batter onto the sprayed pan. The pancake will sizzle and begin to make many bubbles. As it cooks, monitor the heat. You may need to turn it down slightly.
- Flip carefully after the top is nicely bubbling and the bottom is brown. You will cook them for approximately two -three minutes on each side.
- Continue cooking until all the batter is completed.
- Serve with butter, fresh fruit, and whipped cream. If you kids are like my grand kids, try topping with a mixture of peanut butter and syrup (combine both before putting onto the pancakes).
- You may enjoy adding fresh blueberries, dried cranberries, or chocolate chips into the batter before adding the baking soda.
- If you have extra pancakes (which I love to make), place them on a cooling tray until they are no longer warm. Place the cooled pancakes in a freezer bag, and if possible lay flat in the freezer. Cooling them on a rack keeps the moisture (steam) from making the pancakes soggy.
- Before putting them into the fridge, you may want to roll a cooked sausage in to each pancake. This makes for a quick breakfast when you are on the go!
- Warm frozen pancakes for approximately 30-45 seconds in the microwave. This will change depending on the wattage of your microwave.